Wednesday 6 April 2011

Summary

When you remove the rose tinted glasses, the love everybody holiday attitude it's less than average. The food isn't something Egon Ronay would recommend, in fact its pretty bad. The street kids own nothing but the shirt on their back and the most magnificent smile. Hygiene don't exist. Everybody wants your money, you soon learn to see beneath the street hawkers friendliness. Thamel is copy central, nothing is real, nothing is priced to sell, nothing is tranquil, nothing is sacred. The hotels are filthy overpriced money traps. Would I wish my kids to see here, hell yes. I loved the madness of it all, all be it for only the first three days. The religious side of the country is refreshing, people live it every day although its not domineering, unlike the lip service on a Sunday back home.
Regards the climbing, weather was a major factor in not getting to summit Imja Tse but also and its hard to admit, I was a bit out of my depth! This is a tough place to come and climb successfully, even for seasoned stalwarts, after all its the playground for the best in the world. I believe with the camaraderie of a full expedition team I could achieve most and anyway being out of my depth actually drives me.
Did I find myself, well no. I did learn a lot about myself though be it things I have known but neglected for some time. My whole life is about me, I am a selfish person, my focus though has changed, be it intermittently or be it for good, only time will tell. I missed my family unit terribly. I realise that I am a driven individual who aspires beyond his means (some may say Im a dreamer). Its a long time to spend on your own, I don't like being on my own. I seen things I never want to see again, I seen things that I would love to see again but probably never will.
I fulfilled my dream to come to Everest, I seen my favourite mountains, the biggest and the best in the world. I walked through the Rhododendron Forests above Namche Bazaar that I have read about since I was a boy. I embraced the culture and was humbled by its simplicity. The rural sects of Nepal are fantastic, the mix of cultures fascinating. The brief touching of nature in the jungle was an added bonus. In my life there is no room for concessions, I never look back and regret (only not joining the army but hey). When I get an idea into my head, be it negative or positive I am driven without compromise by some force or another. I may yet discover I have made the wrong decisions but I have loved the adventure so far. I regard all this as stepping away from the mundane life of home, others say it's running away. Its not as simple as that but there is some truth in the thought........
                            


     Big thanks to Jeremy for the fantastic photos, I will post my own soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment