Monday 4 July 2011

Dalkey Quarry

Pat making it look way too easy
Great Gully Route, Fraughan Glen, Wicklow
Was hoping to pop up and do an Alpine route in the Wicklow Mountains this morning, Pat had located a cracking looking gully that would incorporate all the skills required for alpine rope work and technical slogging. This was changed to a morning on the famous Dalkey Quarry. Pat and Ciaran had arrived early, I was hoping to give them a head start and go for a few biggies before holding them back in the afternoon with my constant questioning and slow pace.  Not to be, first up a nice little top rope called Paradise Lost VDiff, felt a good warm up before abseiling down to have a crack at half of Moonlighter a VS. Its been a while since I was out on rock, I dont aspire to be a rock climber but I was sucking this up...... The boys were tops as usual, pulling moves an aul lad like me could only dream of. Ciaran took time to show me the location of his 70 foot fall that broke his back in 3 places, a nice little confidence booster!!!

The boys steamed up Thrust HVS, Ciaran took a tumble here last week and needed this, he ace'd it and in style. Pat humbly was the "Dope with the Rope" today, its nice to see him step back and give Ciaran the reigns to boost his climbing head for the summer months, but we were all sucking in the buzz Ciaran was having.
Distrust VS
Next up was myself again and I was to try a nice little VS next to Thrust called Distrust, a cracking looking Flake of granite that eventually tops out onto a grassy ending. This was a peach of a climb, only once or twice did I hesitate but the training kicked in and although not graceful it was some accomplishment for moi. Both lads are climbing instructors and the information volunteered is invaluable to a grommet like myself.  The lads are considering Spain again this autumn to do a few weeks mixed climbing but the sports climbing in Siurana sounds really appealing, better get saving so.

Motivated Squirrel in full flight

No comments:

Post a Comment